Just how do we value a human life?
Where have we gone wrong when as a culture, when we as fellow human beings, willfully disregard and destroy human life once we determine that a life, no longer has usefulness and or purpose in society?
Just how have we gone astray in thinking that it is okay to empower other human beings, within its liberal, secular social construct, to be the deciding factor in determining human worth, significance, consequence, condition, excellence, superiority, and power?
The two questions above, were part of my morning reflection on today, as I meditated on this past week and some events that transpired in my coming and going, that inspired this blog post. As I began to envision how today’s blog was to be constructed, my philosophic mindset reminded me that:
Every human life has the moral right to live out loud its course,
in a matter that its own personality
and its unique novel is written and shaped by one’s experiences on Earth.
Prayfully, each human life true value will be determined,
only after the last chapter,
the last page, the last paragraph,
the last word of their life,
is written, not by fellow humans,
but by the Hands of The Creator of all living souls.
Each Soul is Worthy of Eternal Life
The beggar Lazarus, a leper, lay at the rich man’s gare and the dogs licked his sores; he was devoid of any social usefulness and a victim for those who judge life according to its social usefulness, yet the Creator of all living souls held him to worthy of eternal life! [Luke 16:19-31] Even within the silence of those who live in extreme poverty and destitution, all over the world today, God still speaks!
The millions today who are voiceless, powerless, and the underbelly of the social undesirables, they all are our modern-day Lazarus. They too, worldwide are desiring to be fed with crumbs of those who are powerful and wealthy. What hidden message can we learn from those who are passed off as useless while begging for bread?
- Yes, we are poor as well as naked-thus not able to hide our true conditions and situation before the world, unlike those who are wealthy can easily hide their true identities in their wealth and power.
- Those of us who are poor, just desire just crumbs instead of the banquet, for we only desire to remain forever free from the pitfalls of the love of Mannon, envy, and pride.
- Those who are in power to help us who are poor, have chosen not to aid us, to this end, the scavengers of the blighted streets all over the world, [the dogs] are compassionately attending to our wounds out of mercy and kindness.
Our Creator is the Determining Standard Whereas Each Soul Has Value
In closing, I wish to leave you with four Biblical truths that communicate the worth of each human being from God’s perspective. [taken from Psalm 139]
- God knows you. He knows your heart, mind, thoughts, fears, dreams, and limitations. Everything about your past, present, and future are within the mind, will, and purpose of God. [vss. 1-6]
- God is the one who pursues us. Throughout our living, we all are wanted by God to enter into a newer possibility with Him as we learn to navigate through our lives here on earth, regardless of our conditions. [vss.7-12]
- God is the One who made you. While family, friends, your enemies, and the world mistreats you, God is not ashamed of you! [vss.13-15]
- The physical world is not the ultimate plan for you. God and only God is in control of each human being by carefully mapping out the details that each of us will face in this life and the eternal Kingdom to come. [vss. 16-18]
Grace and Peace
Brother Alonzo Thornton